23 January, 2012

Snapshots: Villa Escudero, Quezon Province, Philippines

Memories of a childhood visit to Villa Escudero are a blur, but one thing I did remember taking a ride inside the grounds on a carabao-driven carriage. On this subsequent visit over twenty years later, I was glad to see that I wasn't hallucinating and the carabaos were still around.
 

"Maganda" ("Beautiful")

These beasts of burden lead carriages used to transport guests from the entrance of this sprawling estate to the waterfalls, at the foot of which is laid out a splendid Filipino buffet lunch. Nothing is quite as refreshing after the two hour drive from Manila as the cool running water gently massaging your feet while you dine.


Working off that heavy lunch isn't a problem. Piloting these bamboo rafts on peaceful Lake Labasin is a must, or jump into one of the swimming pools. Alas, I forgot to bring swimwear. Perhaps on my next visit to Villa Escudero. Hopefully much sooner than in another twenty years.

1 comment:

belladonna said...

wow! :))
I really enjoy watching the pics. I miss riding with a carabao carriage..